Deciding Whether to Rent or Buy
Should I rent or buy a violin? Is one of the most common questions we get asked in store, so to give you some direction we have listed the pros and cons of buying vs renting a violin and a video with some frequently asked questions.
- Renting is an affordable and flexible way to start, with payment plans that allow you to pay by month, or in three-month blocks (at a discounted rate).
- You can change sizes any time as your son or daughter grows, with no additional cost.
- At any point while you are renting a violin, you can claim your first three months rent as a credit toward purchasing a new instrument*
- Our rental violins are insured for accidental damage**
- When taking up a new instrument, there is always a small chance that the player may give up after a short period of time so by renting a violin first, you get to try before you buy.
- If you rent a violin from us you are entitled to free servicing of that instrument every six months for as long as you are renting.
- You do not have to go through the hassle of finding a buyer if you are wanting to sell your violin.
- All rental violins are set-up and serviced by us on our premises and are in excellent playing condition.
- Renting a violin is the cheaper option if your son or daughter is on the one size for 15 months, however if your son or daughter is on the one size for more that 15 months it actually works out cheaper to purchase a violin. Although this is the case, you can never know how long the child will be on the one size for because each child grows at different rate. We have found that on average a child will be on the one size for around 18 months however it can be as little as 6 months or as long as 3 years.
- You cannot buy the violin that you have been renting.
- Purchasing is a good option if you are certain you will continue with the violin. It is a one off payment and you gain a sense of ownership.
- There is a wide selection to choose from and you will be able to choose the violin that you like.
- If your child moves up in size or quality you are able to sell on your instrument and regain some of the cost.
- If the violin you bought from us is over $700 we are happy to sell it on consignment for you or accept it as a trade-in.
- If you purchase an instrument from us, regular servicing is free for the time that you are the owner of the instrument as we like to know that your instrument is performing at its best at all times.
- There is always a chance the player will give up after a few months.
- If you are unhappy with your purchase you only have three days in which to return the instrument.
*At any time during the rental period, or at the immediate end of the rental period, the hirer is entitled to have their rental payments for the first three months refunded should they choose to purchase a new instrument from The Sydney String Centre at that time.
** Our rental instruments, bows and cases are insured for physical loss and physical damage subject to the following exclusions. Insurance does not cover:
a) Any loss or damage caused by or resulting from:
i) Natural ageing, gradual deterioration, inherent defect, rust oxidisation, moth or vermin,
ii) Any repairing, restoring, retouching or similar process,
iii) Aridity, humidity, exposure to light or extremes of temperature unless the loss arises as a direct consequence of an event not excluded under this insurance,
iv) Breakage of strings unless breakage is a direct result of loss or damage to the instrument,
v) Infidelity of persons to whom the insured property may be loaned,
vi) Theft or disappearance of the property from any vehicle when such vehicle is left unattended unless the property is kept in a locked boot or, if the vehicle does not have a boot, the property to be kept in locked vehicle and not in view. This exclusion shall not apply where loss occurs whilst the equipment is being loaded or unloaded from a vehicle.
b) Consequential loss of any kind.